As seen on OfficeWorkerHealth.com
WHEN THE “WORK THING” GETS IN THE WAY…
The decision has been made, “it’s time for a lifestyle change” and you are ready to be active, fit and healthy. You found the right trainer, gym and/or group to take you to the next level. Yet, one thing remains the same, the office —the thing you call work and all of it’s sugary temptations— the cookies, the morning donuts and those darn pieces of Halloween candy that seem to never go away! Don’t fret, you can creatively change your unhealthy work environment into a healthy work environment in 5 easy steps.
1. Replace. In order to break bad habits you have to replace them with good habits. The same holds true at work. When co-workers decide to bring donuts, cookies and other sugary snacks, you can decide to bring the fruits and vegetables. This act of change will confuse a few co-workers but you will be surprised at how many will choose a piece of fruit over a donut.
2. Prep. Did you know the average American spends at least $11.14 on lunch twice a week according to a recent 2017 USA Today article? This statistic doesn’t even include the fancy $3.00 morning lattes. Prepping your lunch is a great way to save nearly $8.00/meal and help control your diet. When you compare a greasy burger and fries to a delicious homemade turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes, you will definitely inspire others to prep with you.
3. Move. If you are in an office or cubicle, more than likely, you are in a sitting position for most of the day. Well, GET UP and move your body every 20-30 minutes! This is a great way to keep the blood circulating and stay fit throughout the day. It’s easy. Simply stand up and stretch your body from head to toe, walk to the bathroom on the other side of the office or step outside and enjoy some fresh air.
4. Challenge. What are your co-workers doing to stay fit? Find out, compare notes and then create a fitness challenge in the office. For example, who can do the most workouts in one week? Who can drink the most water on Water Wednesday? And, of course, who can take the most steps in one day? Get creative and get your co-workers to get fit with you!
5. Be happy. Work is not always the happiest place on earth. Many times there are long hours, stressful situations and too many people to deal with. Happiness is a choice no matter how much work gets in the way. So, start smiling! Bring something into your workspace that reflects who you are and warms your heart. When you smile and greet someone with a beautiful “hello”, they have no choice but to return the favor.
Remember, nothing changes overnight but consistency along with a positive attitude will breakdown barriers and start to change almost any work environment for the better.