Our minds are very powerful. Did you know, according to experts, the average person experiences 50,000-70,000 thoughts per day? That's A LOT of thoughts going on in that little muscle we called "the brain". No matter who we are, thoughts are moving and grooving in our heads 24/7 and if we don't get a grip on our thoughts, our thoughts will get a grip on us.
So, let's train the brain to stay positive, focused and under control.
Here are 5 things that I do that might help you keep your mind on track:
- Pray/Meditate. Prayer is a huge part of my daily routine. The things I try to accomplish on a daily basis are always bigger than myself and prayer grounds me. If you are not a big believer in prayer, meditation is another great way to recenter your thoughts and focus on what's important.
- Surround Yourself with Encouraging People. One thing that I am blessed to have right now are encouraging people in my life. The daily "throws of life" can knock a girl down and it's great to have a team push you back in the ring.
- Exercise. Moving your body is a GREAT way to keep the mind STRONG. Focusing on a nice long run, throwing around some heavy weights, participating in a group fitness class you love or simply getting in a brisk walk is a perfect way to relieve stress and organize your thoughts.
- Create. Paint, draw or start a new home project. Write. Cook. Take photos. Creativity comes in various forms. Creativity keep your mind on something new and interesting.
- Laugh. I LOVE comedy. Great comedians are smart and creative storytellers. They have a way of sharing stories that make you laugh and think of things in a completely different way. When you are laughing, there is not much room for negative thoughts.
Always talk to a accredited therapist or mental specialist for more information.
As seen on OfficeWorkerHealth.com
WHEN THE “WORK THING” GETS IN THE WAY…
The decision has been made, “it’s time for a lifestyle change” and you are ready to be active, fit and healthy. You found the right trainer, gym and/or group to take you to the next level. Yet, one thing remains the same, the office —the thing you call work and all of it’s sugary temptations— the cookies, the morning donuts and those darn pieces of Halloween candy that seem to never go away! Don’t fret, you can creatively change your unhealthy work environment into a healthy work environment in 5 easy steps.
1. Replace. In order to break bad habits you have to replace them with good habits. The same holds true at work. When co-workers decide to bring donuts, cookies and other sugary snacks, you can decide to bring the fruits and vegetables. This act of change will confuse a few co-workers but you will be surprised at how many will choose a piece of fruit over a donut.
2. Prep. Did you know the average American spends at least $11.14 on lunch twice a week according to a recent 2017 USA Today article? This statistic doesn’t even include the fancy $3.00 morning lattes. Prepping your lunch is a great way to save nearly $8.00/meal and help control your diet. When you compare a greasy burger and fries to a delicious homemade turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes, you will definitely inspire others to prep with you.
3. Move. If you are in an office or cubicle, more than likely, you are in a sitting position for most of the day. Well, GET UP and move your body every 20-30 minutes! This is a great way to keep the blood circulating and stay fit throughout the day. It’s easy. Simply stand up and stretch your body from head to toe, walk to the bathroom on the other side of the office or step outside and enjoy some fresh air.
4. Challenge. What are your co-workers doing to stay fit? Find out, compare notes and then create a fitness challenge in the office. For example, who can do the most workouts in one week? Who can drink the most water on Water Wednesday? And, of course, who can take the most steps in one day? Get creative and get your co-workers to get fit with you!
5. Be happy. Work is not always the happiest place on earth. Many times there are long hours, stressful situations and too many people to deal with. Happiness is a choice no matter how much work gets in the way. So, start smiling! Bring something into your workspace that reflects who you are and warms your heart. When you smile and greet someone with a beautiful “hello”, they have no choice but to return the favor.
Remember, nothing changes overnight but consistency along with a positive attitude will breakdown barriers and start to change almost any work environment for the better.
5 Steps to Staying Focused on Healthy Eating
- Step 1- Clean your cupboards. Get rid of any unhealthy food choices that are in your house and tempt you everyday.
- Step 2- Eat with others that eat healthy. Company at the table may help you make better food choices, share healthy recipes and try new things that are healthy you may not have thought of.
- Step 3- Keep a daily food diary. Write down everything that goes in your mouth. Note portion sizes and how the food was cooked. Once you know, you know and better choices are just around the corner!
- Step 4- Get a good night's sleep. Lack of sleep can actually increase hunger, which may tempt you to make unhealthy food choices.
- Step 5- Find another way to relieve stress and do not use food to do it. When you stress out, you do not care what goes in your body. So take a walk around the block or punch a punching bag. . .don't take it out on your body with bad food.