Static stretching (holding the stretch for 15 seconds or more) is a great way to stay flexible and prevent injury after every workout. Spend 10-20 minutes on any of the stretches below. Stretching is a crucial part of every workout, so don't skip it!
Ilitotibial Band Stretch
- Stand upright.
- Cross the injured leg behind the opposite leg.
- Lean to the non injured side until a stretch is felt across the outside of your thigh region.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
- Repeat 3-5 times.
- While standing, hold onto a counter
- top or chair back to assist in balance.
- Bend your knee back by grasping
- your ankle with one hand.
- Assist in bending your knee back as far as possible.
- Maintain this position for 30 seconds.
- Return to standing position repeat 5 times
- Sit on the floor with both legs out straight.
- Extend your arms and reach forward, bending at the waist as far as possible while keeping your knees straight.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds. Relax.
- Repeat this exercise 5 more times.
- Sit with your feet our in front of you.
- Hold one end of a sheet or towel in each hand, forming a loop.
- Place the loop around your foot.
- Pull your toes toward you.
- Stop when you feel a comfortable stretch in your calf muscle.
- Hold for 20 seconds, and repeat 5 more times.
- Switch legs and repeat.